Friday 21 November 2014

UNBOUNDED EXPLORATION- ORDER AND CHAOS


Not as tourist but as as a native I begin to start my exploration of this city, chaotic and yet in order is what strikes me to believe it has sustained itself. Banaras Is all about the madness, the “alharpan” a termed coiled to indicate the madness in the people (told to me by an auto rickshaw driver named Umesh Shastri). Unlike the normal auto rickshaw there are still hand driven tongas which go side by side the fuelled rickshaw in harmony on the narrowest lanes ever. Amazement fills me with each increasing step, and as I start to bury myself in this feel I realise that there is so much to absorb and it shall take me a lifetime. Judgemental is what our human mind is, and often we figure to create perceptions which are false. Certainly I wasn’t dismayed by the people, so loving and caring, they welcome you by a warm smile, talk and and ready to talk forever.
Young and old, all have their ethics intact and love their city intently. Like any other city there is drama, tension, fights, sales, narrow lanes, unfinished roads, cycles, increased number of cows, and much more to it, but surprisingly nobody complains. None, they belong to this place and this is what makes their place their own.” COEXISTENCE” of religions, people, animals, is what Banaras is all about.

“BANARAS TOH GALIYON KA SHEHAR HAI”

 Ramesh ji (Book seller at Chowk ghat, 63 years old, and a super jolly man)
It is a maze of streets in there, and after certain days of getting lost and finding my path again, and walking and walking I sat to see the map and figured that the streets are ordered. Yes they are, and each of them finally connect to the cities prideful institute BHU!

We often have things that we want to change in anything be it us or things or places, but Banaras is one place I wish never changes. A change in the city will be crazily difficult, it is not a perfect city but no body wants perfect as well. It has evolved through stories and people who are the bearers of the story. I wanted to explore the cultural shift in the city, but after all that my mind could grasp and execute, I realised that the culture never changes, people believed and still will believe, people never questioned some will but most will still follow, because they require the need to believe. The culture is their way of living which with time adapts to all but people change, time moves and culture hangs on. All our scriptures and sayings have still just taught us to be true to ourself have a clean heart and that is the way to find peace. It still prevails. Only the form the stories have changed principles are the same. Life moves on, people go in search for a living but a Banarasi will always remain a Banarasi.



No comments:

Post a Comment